Currently, the market is flooded with a variety of VR zombie games. it is actually one of the more popular genre themes within the virtual world. But this time, Survios (creators of Raw Data) wanted to take a stab at the genre in partnership with AMC with a title called The Walking Dead Onslaught.
In the Walking Dead Onslaught, players will have to fight their fears head-on. The Walking Dead Onslaught invites players to assume the roles of their favorite survivors from the TV series, struggling against the relentless walker threat while confronting both the horrors and humanity of this apocalyptic new world.
In the game, Onslaught will introduce the “most visceral combat experience” that Survios has built to date. You will scavenge and wield an arsenal of iconic melee and ranged weapons using real-motion VR mechanics – and experience the variety of their graphic end results.
Some of the current planned features:
- Delimbing: Walker limbs are vulnerable for removal at many joints, including arms, legs and neck
- Carving: Proprietary “gore mesh” creates realistic wounds anywhere on a walker’s body
- Impaling: enemies get impaled and react where they are stabbed
- Context-based physics: varying reactions take place based on context; precise slicing through enemies result in getting stuck, resistance when pulling out weapons and grappling (a challenging technique in VR)
- Walkers can also be grabbed and restrained for precision melee attacks and strategic defense
- Walkers can also be pushed and thrown at other walkers
The Walking Dead Onslaught is set to make its debut sometime this fall in 2019 on both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. The game is a working title and is still a work in progress but it does sound promising.
There have been numerous attempts to create a quality zombie VR game and very few titles have stood out in recent time. We will soon see if Survios can deliver a meaningful apocalyptic zombie VR game that can make a name for itself in the gaming community.