Standup Comedy Goes Virtual Tomorrow
Tomorrow, April 27, AltspaceVR will be hosting ‘Comedy Living Room’s’ virtual, live standup show. ‘Comedy Living Room’ is a live comedy show, hosted in a living room. Created in 2012 by comedy fans and roommates Matt Lottman and Frank Chad Muniz, these entertaining minds thought it would cool to host a stand-up show in their living room for their friends to try out jokes. What began as an open mic amongst friends, has since had more than 75 live shows at a dozen different venues, such as the RIOT LA festival in Los Angeles, South by Southwest in Austin, TX, five sold out shows in a New York City loft, and a monthly residency at The Hollywood Improv.
Tomorrow’s show, CRLVR, is a collaboration between JASH (the comedy community founded by Michael Cera, Tim & Eric, Sarah Silverman, and Reggie Watts), The Comedy Living Room, and AltspaceVR.
Six performers hitting the virtual stage in their avatar form are:
- Paul Scheer – star of FX’s The League, regular on ABC’s Fresh Off the Boat
- Drennon Davis – Seeso regular and one of LA Weekly’s Top 10 Comedians to Watch
- Jay Larson – The Late Late Show performer and co-host of Best Bars in America by Esquire Network
- Justin Martindale – Laugh Factory regular and co-creator of Funny or Die’s “Not Looking”
- Daniel Van Kirk – Funny man and Upright Citizens Brigade regular
- Paige Weldon – Stand up pro and co-founder of online comedy magazine The Higgs Weldon
Comedy Living Room’s site suggests that fans stick around after the show because they’re firing up the virtual grill, taking a dip in the virtual pool, and dancing our virtual butts off at the CLRVR After Party, fully equipped with a DJ and specially curated playlist.
Altspace is supported on any Google Daydream, HTC Vive, Oculus or GearVR headsets. You can also watch the gig in 2D mode on your desktop.